Rain Dance by Catherine Gayle

 



This is a hard book to rate, so I’m just not going to do it. I will review it though, because there was a lot in the story. Firstly and most importantly, take that trigger warning seriously. I know there are triggers on a lot of things, but in this story, it is graphic, it is raw, and I had to skip it, and I don’t have a trigger. It was just too much, and I get why it was there for the story, but it took me away from the story rather than keep me in it. And that is part of the problem I had with the story, it gave us this brutal tear down and then we didn’t see the healing and building back up. We got the physical, but the emotional is touched on, but as a reader, I wasn’t healed with the character on her emotions. Which is weird, as the previous book in the series gave us all sorts of insight into feelings and emotions and the journey to healthiness for them, this one left it off the pages. What was on the page was weak at best, and revolved around the characters healing each other. I loved our heroine, she saw her flaws and wanted to heal in her own way, and did that. Our hero also has issues and it is never hinted how he is healing, other than “I’m not going to be that way”, and then his go-to mechanism when triggered is violence. I loved this hero, how sweet he was, his self-awareness, how kind and gentle and understanding he is, but he also has some deep seeded issues that are just left on the shelf.

That is the disconnect in the story for me, the abuse was not connected to healing. If the detailed description had of been left off the page, then this would have easily been a 4 or 5 star read. With it on the page, and the conclusion left off, it feels sensationalized for shock value, not part of a story development. I wouldn’t say don’t read this book, I think it deals with important, valid, and real issues in a stark manner. For me, it just didn’t meet the mark, and I so wanted it to get there for these two characters that I liked so much


Comments