Wyoming True by Diana Palmer releasing November 10, 2020

 3 stars

This was a slow-burn to bring us to our HEA. Our heroine has not had an easy time as an adult, with two failed marriages behind her, but she has built up her defense mechanisms. Our hero isn’t sure what about her draws him to her, but almost as if he does it self-consciously, he keeps finding ways to be around her. Some suspense, some extraneous drama, but the story and the interactions between the two main characters make for a good read

I am always looking for the preachiness in a Diana Palmer story, and this one had a doozy. You see, it is okay for men to have many sexual partners and not women because it is part of culture from the old days. See, a man didn’t want to keep getting his wife at home pregnant, because she could be at risk and die, leaving him with no-one to parent these kids he has, so he went out and slaked his lust on other women to protect her. This then became a normal practice and is still part of our culture today. Just what???????????? Also, let’s have the hero mock independent women who can open their own doors and call their own cabs. This isn’t a show of manners or respect, it is a show of a patriarchal society with hints of gaslighting

 

Promiscuity double standard and misogynist issues aside, why oh why does every heroine have to be so mentally and physically damaged they can barely function? The running theme, one would think, would get difficult coming up with new things, but nope, just keeps getting worse and more damage. Ida’s injuries and physical problems made me wince. Add in the ridiculous medical advice about pain relievers, and it actually took away from the story, not adding to it. The fact she repeated what happened to her numerous times, to numerous people, and then those people talked about it again with each other, I think we got a play-by-play ten times or more in the book

 

So why do I keep reading the authour? Honestly, the far-right dribble are the easter eggs I look for so I can laugh at the stupidity of them. But the real reason is, if I just read the interactions and the dialogue between the hero and heroine, not their thoughts, not what happens with other characters, just the time they talk to each other, the romance story is solid. I skim a lot of the book. I probably only read a quarter to a third of the books, but this part is reminiscent to the romances of the eighties and nineties, and I do enjoy that. I know what I am getting when I go in, and I just can’t quit……


Comments